The Karnal Cantonment Church Tower was constructed by the British Government in 1805 to meet the challenges dealt by the military power of the Sikhs in the region. It is located close to National Highway 1 and is dedicated to St. James, one of the disciples of Jesus Christ. The Indian National Trust for Art and Cultural Heritage has declared the Cantonment Church Tower as a historical monument.
The tower is around 35m tall and is bound by an ornamental cross. The Cantonment Church Tower is now being looked after by the Archaeological Survey of India and All India Christian Council. The graveyard of soldiers is located on the left side of the cantonment church while the graveyard of Indian Christians is placed on the right.
This massive Cantonment Church Tower is located between the Race Course and Infantry Parade ground. It is topped with an ornamental cross and is the perfect example of British architecture. It is a four storey high tower and you can see as far away as seven miles from the top of the tower. The first storey is plastered with Etruscan plaster and the top storey is covered with lime. It also includes semi-circular arches in Roman style architecture with panelling artwork.