Constructed by the Maratha King, Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj, the famous Raigad Fort is located in Mahad, the Western Indian state of Maharashtra.
Built in 16th century, it’s no surprise that the Raigad Fort is steeped in history. It was formerly called the Fort of Rairi and belonged to the Royal House of Chandrarro Mores. His royal highness, Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj, seized the fort in 1656 and renovated and rechristened it as it is famously known today – Raigad Fort.
Standing at a height of 820 metres, the fort’s ruins include a queen’s quarters of six chambers, each with a private restroom,three watch towers, and the ruins of a market.
The Raigad Fort has numerous attractions for tourists. The Hirakani Buruj, Nane Darwaja, Hatti Talav and Gangasagar are some of the famous sites for visitors.
Although, the Raigad Fort was captured and looted by the British during their reign in 1818, much of the fort’s remains are still intact. Today the fort can be accessed using the Raigad Ropeway – an aerial tram that takes visitors to the top of the fort in twenty minutes.